Saturday, January 9, 2010

fainting goat syndrom

It took me the better part of five months from my accident before i was able to get back on my workout horse. Once i did, i was very excited about it. i knew i was destine to finally reach my goal of wearing a single digit size pant. I was excited, enthusiastic and.....my stomach was getting bigger.

How could that be? I was doing exactly what had worked for me before? After several months of not being able to work out and not gaining back all the weight i had lost, i couldn't understand why, when i was dieting and exercising again, my stomach was getting bigger! there were a lot of times i was afraid i might have been pregnant again because i had so many symptoms, feeling faint, sick and lethargic but i never was. So, i did what seemed the only logical thing to do, i worked harder and dieted stricter. It didn't help and other odd things started happening.

Before, when i was having such great success working out, it gave me energy for the day and it felt great, so that is what i expected. but things started to change. at first i just wasn't getting that pick me up that i had been getting before but eventually i found myself saving all my energy just so that i could work out.

Fainting goats are a curiosity of nature, i first heard about them from my college roommate. They are a particular breed of goat that when startled or scared have a specific uncontrollable physical reaction. their muscles go rigid, so they are stiff like a statue, then they topple over.

For me it started out suttle. at first i was just having major energy slumps, not being able to wake up and get out of bed, body feeling like lead and at five o' clock pm i was wiped out. then came the energy "drains" as i liked to call them. these would come upon me all of a sudden and without warning. i would be standing in the hall or putting groceries away in the kitchen and all of a sudden it was like someone pulled a plug in me and all my energy just drained right out. most of the time i didn't have the strength to make it the couch or bed. i would collapse into a heap where ever i happened to be and would have to wait it out before i could move again.

sometimes were worse than others. sometimes it would last for twenty minutes and other times for a few hours. i never lost consciousness, but at times i may as well have because i could not even muster the energy to call out for help. i really have to thank God that my young children were kept in safety because there were times i think only the burning down of my house could have motivated me enough to move. Then, as if that wernt enough, it got worse. Loud noises started triggering it and i started getting mean.

Just like a fainting goat, a loud noise or surprise would trigger a response in me and my muscles would turn to jelly and i would involuntarily crumble to the floor.

One of the things my grandma and i really love to eat is biscuits and gravy. every time she visits me i make some for us and i wasn't about to pass it up when she visited us that fall. It had been very hard for me to get out of bed, but i made a valiant effort and hauled myself into the kitchen to uphold our (that is just me and grandma's, not any of her other 13 grandchildren) special tradition. i had the homemade gravy going, i was almost done with the scrambled eggs and was ready for the processed and commercially packaged biscuits. I opened the can of biscuit dough, there was loud "pop", i felt my muscles go weak and had just enough time to put down what was in my hand before i was sprawled on the cold tile floor of my kitchen. Jim had to help me back to bed and i was able to enjoy breakfast several hours later.

One might see then, why i couldn't tolerate the laughing and playing of my little daughters but there was more to it than that. the sound of it made me angry and i had to banish myself to the far end of the house to keep from yelling at them all the time. it was like i was experiencing a really bad PMS. i was cranky, overly emotional, irritable and depressed. plus, no matter how hard i worked, my weight was not going anywhere. so i saw a doctor, again.

I had seen him before my whole hand fiasco because of the energy slumps i had been having. he ran some test and declared me perfectly healthy (except being overweight) and sent me on my way. (That was destined to become a common theme of all doctors that i would see in the future) I saw an herbalist after that who was able to recommend some vitamins that had helped me a lot then but not so much with what i was presently dealing with.

This time i went to him with an assurance that something was very wrong with me and he could tell me exactly what it was. He ran some blood tests to check my thyroid and ordered a glucose test to see if i was diabetic. they both came back with the results of a perfectly healthy and functioning person. nothing wrong. he suggested if i was still having problems i should do a sleep study. (no, i didn't see the relevance of spending money on that either) The herbalist was not able to help me this time either, so i lived with it.

I love how God answers prayers and gives blessings. Jim had been seeing a chiropractor. in a passing conversation, Jim told him of how i had been afflicted and that we did not know what it was. the chiropractor said it sounded like adrenal fatigue and that he thought he could help me.

Your spine holds a wonderful thing called a spinal cord. this cord connects all the nerves in your entire body to your brain, including the ones from your glans. i have found in my life that there are basically three ways your spine can give you pain. the first is an obvious misalignment. once your bones are back into place and off the pinched nerve, all is better. another way is your body is trying to tell you something. sometimes its emotional pain your body needs to release before it can be healed. in this particular case for me, my body was trying to tell me that something was not right with my adrenal glands. i was able to see for myself on a chart of where body organs correlated to the parts of the spine. the places that are connected to the adrenals were the exact parts on my body that had been hurting me for months, my neck and lower back.

The chiropractor adjusted me and gave me herbs to support my adrenals. after a time it helped. i wish i could say that it cured me, but if it had, this would be a short blog. but that it helped me was good, it was a welcome relief that i desperately needed because it was then that we moved to the city. That is also when i lost my mind. i completely drove off the logical map and became lost in evil-wench land.

No comments:

Post a Comment